Monday, October 31, 2011

Drive to Playa from Dallas

So went back to Dallas for the swagger wagon.  Was going to hire a brother to do it, but his passport expired.  So I flew back and hit the road to Laredo, TX on Saturday.  Entered Mexico on Sunday early am as I didn't really know what to expect.  Talking to a few here, they didn't really say much, other than do everything during the day...

I didn't listen to that advice as I woke up early enough to get through inspection by 5:30 a.m.  Then I was off for vehicle registracion' ...easy, right?  Well the first guy told me to turn left out of the inspection, go a kilometer and then make a u-turn and drive "down to the beach under the bridge"... WHAT?  DOES HE THINK I'M THAT DUMB???  That's what I said to myself as I imagined being pillaged for everything I have under the bridge.

When I saw a sign, I felt better...until I came to the first stop sign (black as night in a city of 400k)...4 guys came towards my car and made me happy I wore my oops I cr____ my pants...I turned right as I just wanted out of there.  I went a couple blocks and thought, they wanted me to go this way, right?  I made a u-turn and went back to the border crossing (flying through the same stop sign area) and asked another for directions.  After 15 minutes, I found someone who spoke 1/2 English and to my surprise he told me the same as the other about the "under the bridge" thing, only a bit more info.

So I went flying through the stop sign area once again and found the place...who really puts those places under a bridge down by the "beach" (river)...I digress.

Got everything done; $300 deposit & $62 in fees and I was off.  The first day's drive, uneventful and desert driving to Queretaro, MX...got there by 5 or so...dog tired.  Slept and got up for the next day's drive to Villahermosa...10 hours away.
Volcano to the left

Way at the top, guys chipping away at rocks...

Parque Nacional Cañón del Río Blanco

TACOS!!

Taco maker...happy bunch.

Parking lot...for your horse, of course.


The drive was very nice scenery-wise.  Reminded me of California, then Hawaii.  Saw the 2nd highest peak in Mexico (also a volcano just southeast of Mexico City) and 3 total snow capped mountain peaks.  Drove through a park and down into a valley that was the highlight of the drive, very scenic.  Ate 2 tacos and on my way to Villahermosa.

Got checked in and splurged on a rib-eye dinner (which came with 5 other pcs of Mex-food) and a cerveza for 90 pesos ($7.20) and then walked around town and noticed lots of barbers on the street and with my limit of 1 beer, I got kind of crazy and went for one.  I wasn't sure of the cost, but the worst it would be 50 pesos ($4)...30 minutes and a razor shaven neck and sideburns (new blade, I saw him unwrap it), he said 30 pesos...wow, I had dinner, a beer and a haircut for under $10!

So off to my last day of driving and it was a long one, but again, very scenic.  Mexico never touts their natural beauty, but its here for sure.  I'm back home, but very glad I took the trip.

$100 in tolls and 2,200 miles later, I'm back home with Lisa and went to our Special Day Assembly yesterday...read on for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment